Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Acetone Experiment

So I've come across a few other blogs discussing the adding of glycerin to 100% pure acetone to make it less damaging/drying to the nails and cuticles.  As I mentioned in THIS POST , I add coconut oil to my acetone and am very satisfied with it.  However, I decided to try out the glycerin and a few other additions that I've not yet tried.

Mix #1 was my own coconut oil and acetone mix.  Worked like a charm as always.

Mix #2 was glycerin and acetone supersaturated.  Works well at removing the polish.

Mix #3 was emu oil and acetone supersaturated.  Works well at removing the polish.

Mix #4 was 100% pure aloe gel and acetone supersaturated.  Works well at removing the polish.

OK so all works well at the basic reason for using acetone, to remove nail polish.  It is the difference afterwords that is worth noting.

Follow the jump for the details.





Mix #1 was not cold, did not cause any whitening of skin, left the cuticles looking great and left a high shine on the nails.

Mix #2 was cold, did not cause any whitening of the skin, left the cuticles looking great.  No real shine on the nail.

Mix #3 was not cold, did not cause any whitening of skin, left the cuticles looking great and left a little luster on the nail.

Mix #4 was cold, left a little whitening on the skin and the cuticles looking fine.  No real shine on the nail.

In my opinion the coconut oil mix is the best with the emu oil mix pulling 2nd then glycerin and finally the aloe.

As for the recipe of each I used a supersaturated mix.

My coconut oil mix is approximately 1 part oil to 2 parts acetone.

Mix #2 was a dispenser filled with 3/4 acetone then glycerin added until you can clearly see a layer of glycerin on the bottom.  Shake well then top off with acetone.  You should still have visible separation of a small amount of glycerin.  Then I set the bottle in a pan of hot water and kept the water hot until the entire bottle of mix was very warm, shake hard again.  Now you should not see any glycerin.  Once it cools there was only a small pearl of glycerin on the bottom.

Mix #3 was a shot glass filled with emu oil added to a 4 ounce dispenser bottle then topped off with acetone, warmed, shaken (not stirred) then left to cool.  Before warming, this mix is cloudy.  Clear when warmed and then there is some separation once it cools.

Mix #4 approximately 1/4 aloe to 3/4 acetone.  Shake very well.  This too will be cloudy and it stays cloudy.  After warming and shaking there was a white solid ball sitting in the bottom.  I removed that ball with an orangewood stick and rubbed all over my painted nail.  It did not remove any polish and kinda felt like a piece of poorly mixed gelatin.

I made about 4 ounces of mix #2, #3 and #4.  As I use up each one I'll update if my opinion on any of them change.  Yes I am biased towards the coconut oil but as I use the mixes up, doing all nails at once, I may feel differently about each one when not compared side by side to the coconut oil.  We'll see and to the experiment will continue.....

A note about cococut oil, it has a ton of uses and should be a staple product in every home!  Google uses for coconut oil and read for yourself the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment