Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Taking the bite out of pure acetone

Now that I've got the explanation of the family curse out of the way it is time for me to get busy with some content so here we go.

Blah, blah, blah you know the difference between non-acetone, acetone and pure acetone right?  If not Google it so I can spare others of the redundancy.  OK then what can I post about polish remover that isn't redundant?  I'm glad you asked!

For the most part I use pure acetone unless I have a repair in place.  I keep three separate dispensers.  One with non-acetone, one pure acetone and one pure acetone + (my own little concoction.)

I love, love, love how quickly pure acetone takes off the polish but hate the cold, drying and skin whitening effects it leaves behind when in its pure form.  Anyone else feel the same way?


About 20 years ago or so I added some vitamin E oil to the mix.  Put it on the cotton then the acetone and wipe away.  It worked but it was extra work at a time when minutes count (kids home).  About five years ago I began a little experimenting with different oils and stuff.  Rice oil, safflower, palm, peanut and the list goes on.  I finally hit what I considered the jackpot!

Coconut oil.  Who'da thunk it!!  Coconut oil easily converts from solid to liquid state with a little hot water and it dissolves well in acetone.  Yup, I mix them together.  No more cold sensation, no more dried out cuticles and no more skin whitening.  Add in that my cuticles get a little extra pampering from rubbing in the residual oil left behind.  BONUS that the coconut oil leaves behind a lovely fragrance once the acetone evaporates.  woot woot

Here's my recipe:  1 part coconut oil to 2 parts pure acetone.

Liquefy the coconut oil first.  I usually fill a shot glass with the solid then set that in a pan of hot water until it is liquid.  Pour this into your dispenser then add the acetone.  Shake to mix.

I have noticed that sometimes I'll see small "pearls" of solid coconut oil in the bottle.  Because of the small amount of them I figure it is because the solution is supersaturated and add a couple capfuls of pure acetone until no solids remain.  That or set the bottle into a cup of warm water for a few minutes.

Yes this mix is oily but I like it that way.  You could add less oil if you like.  Personally I like this amount of oiliness because I spend some time massaging the oil into the cuticles and you know what that does for blood circulation and nail health.

I usually leave my nails naked for a few hours before repainting them.  No specific reason other than it is my thing.  Before polishing again I do wash my hands well the wipe the nail with some white vinegar to make sure no residue remains.

Well there you have it, my secret recipe for taking the bite out of pure acetone while still reaping its benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment